This year’s Republican primary, the lil bit of “Fox News” I’ve watched and living in the suburbs of Dallas, TX has got me thinking about the two Americas. And yes, I do now believe there are two Americas. Yes I’m on the liberal left but I have some good friends and family who are on the Conservative Right. And I love them so there has to be something about the Right that is good, makes sense that I maybe just wasn’t seeing or was overlooking. I think it comes down to Social vs. Fiscal issues. The Americans who are Social Conservatives live in a Country I just DO NOT get or want to live in. Our beliefs in what the country should be and stand for I think are too far apart to try to bridge the divide.
These are the things I want (or do NOT want) in my America:
1) I DO NOT want the government to tell me what I can and can NOT do to my body period end of story. (Just stop the war on Women’s reproductive rights and on Women in general. You lost Roe vs. Wade. Get over it and move on. Trying to rewrite the laws to get what you believe is right and just will not fly with me).
2) I do not want prayer or any reference to God in school or in the laws that govern us.
3) I believe that Homosexuals and members of the LGBT have the same rights and should be awarded the same privileges as any Heterosexual person/couple. We are all people no matter who we love.
4) My parents are both immigrants who came to this country so that they and their children (My sis & I) could have a better life and be better educated. College was not and is not a dirty word. I do not believe higher education is elitist. I don’t think the First Lady advocating eating healthier is her mandating we eat Gourmet (This was posited on the Fox News Show “The Five” ).
5) I do NOT think Public Schools, Police, Fireman, Social Security and yes Healthcare are ENTITLEMENT programs! I think they are part of what America stands for (a better life see above point #4) No matter what your economic standing or what your parents are (if you are a child) you should be given/afforded a great education, healthcare and social safety net (I used to be in the top 7% of wage earners (based on the US Census Bureau, 2010 Personal Income) and paid a lot of taxes so others could have these programs and now that I have fallen to way way way below that, I feel grateful that there was a net to catch me so that I didn’t end up homeless and hungry). I do NOT think I get entitlements and I didn’t think people who got them when I was footing the bill for them were not entitled to them!
6) I don’t want my President to be someone who I can have a beer with or whom I think is on my level. Sorry I don’t. Being President is a hard job. I want the person who gets the job to be way smarter than me in knowledge, smarts, negotiations and critical thinking.
I think people who are Socially Conservatives care deeply for this country and for God and believe in their heart they are doing what is best (And believe me when I tell you that my Mother to this day is the Most religious person I have every known…. So I get the belief and the peace that comes with God). I just vehemently disagree with what they believe is the best course for this country going forward (and NO I don’t think the list above covers all the differences or the totality of what the Social Conservatives think….Just the things that stuck out as big issues right now at 4:am while I write this struggle to breath from my Asthma :s…So maybe my ramblings are from lack of Oxygen?).
People who are Fiscally Conservative want less government waste, less taxes etc etc I get that. I can get on board with some of what they want. And even if I may not agree with the method they might take to get to a place I too want to be I get where they are coming from.
Not sure any of this will make sense to any of you or if my Socially Conservatives Friends and Family will appreciate my take on things but it has just been mulling around in my brain and I had to get it out…lol
The big question is what do we do about it? How do we resolve the Two Americas? Resolve the vision I want and the vision they want to be a place where we all can live and prosper?